Tuesday, April 16, 2013

First Product Review!! -- Cash Cab Packet Two: Receptive Language by Speechy Musings

This is a MONSTER of a product!! It targets categories (24 cards), following directions (basic, temporal, and conditional- 36 each for a total of 108 cards!), comprehension, answering 'wh' questions/how questions ( a total of 108 questions!), auditory memory (2-4 words- 60 cards- it also comes with a worksheet that targets strategies for auditory memory). She also includes friend shout out cards, foil cards (skip cards) and several ways to play. These cards are great because you can target more than one objective with them.

First, let me start off my saying that my job allows me to work with two very different (but similar) populations. I work with pediatrics in the afternoons after they get out of school, but during the day, I work with adults that have intellectual and developmental disabilities. I absolutely LOVE this population! However, that is a blog post for another day. :) So, when I look for therapy materials, I look for things can work for both populations. This was perfect and targeted so many things!

I put my score card in a sheet protector so I could easily re-use it with all of my clients. I also used some of my extra green light cards to make covers for my cards so I could see what cards I had rubberbanded together.



I also used it with a few of my pediatric kiddos. They loved the red light green light aspect of the game. I also got out a few small cars as game pieces for them to play with.  I primarily used the cards for the intended purposes for the kids because my sessions with my pediatrics seem to fly by. My adult sessions are a little longer and they can stay focused to a task longer than my peds, so I could target a lot more with the adults. :)

My adults loved this game for the money aspect. They go to a workshop during the day where they complete various contracts to earn money. So, the thought of 'earning' money by answering questions correctly was very exciting for them!

I used the how questions to target verbal sequencing skills with one of my adult clients. I paired it with some of the visual stimuli that she is familiar with to use sequencing words (first, second, third). She is also working on slowing her rate of speech, so she had to utilize her strategies while stating her answer. She loved this game and has asked to play it again.


I used it with another adult client to target following directions. I chose to do conditional directions because not only does he have a following directions goal, but he also has a goal for answer yes/no questions so this was a great way to target both! We also worked on 'wh' questions and some number recognition with the numbers on the score card. I explained that I was doing a product review and asked what his opinion was of the game. He said he really liked it and it made him ready for pay day! :)   (He was waving to the people on who will hopefully be reading this!) 



I also quickly used it for a higher level client who was working on money skills as well as reading and reading comprehension. My money cards fit perfectly on the game board!



The last adult client I used it with absolutely LOVED this game! As you all know, sometimes we get clients that seem to do anything to get out therapy. She will cough up a storm to get out of a therapy activity--not one cough this whole session! We used the auditory memory cards to work on her reading skills as well as speech intelligibility. She is a very animated client and she was very excited at the end of the end when she found out how much money she had won! ( Her reaction was completely unsolicited, but I did have her re-enacted so I could get a picture to show you guys her excitement!)



Overall, I didn't find one thing that I didn't like about this product. It targeted so many goals and then some. My clients loved the game and it kept me entertained as well.

You can get it here at her TPT store here.
Make sure to check out her facebook page at here.

She also has a great blog that you should follow here

Thanks for reading!!
Shelley

No comments:

Post a Comment